Fascinating Fruit & Vegetable Secrets
- Storage, preparation and cooking can all rob fruits and vegetables of essential vitamins and minerals. Here are a few ways to make your five-a-day count...
- The deeper the color of the fruit or vegetable the more nutritious it is likely to be.
- Chewing vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts more thoroughly increases the amount of cancer-fighting chemicals released, says the Institute of Food Research.
- The shorter the cooking time and the less water you use, the greater the nutritional effect.
- Avoid pre-cut, pre-washed produce. Doing these things too early depletes cancer-fighting nutrients.
- A pinch of baking soda may brighten the color of vegetables but it also destroys B and C vitamins.
Click here to download a printer-friendly version
Back to Articles & Items That Tickle Rob's Brain